As we enter the summer season, we wanted to update you on the construction and maintenance projects taking place on the Rice University campus. Facilities Engineering and Planning is diligently working to support the university's academic and research missions while enhancing our campus environment.
There are several exciting new buildings in progress. The first is a 22,000-square-foot Cannady Hall dedicated to the Rice School of Architecture. The second is the Ralph S. O'Connor Building for Engineering and Science, covering an impressive 251,000 square feet. The O’Connor Building will be open to the public in the fall semester, and the Cannady Hall is projected for completion by the end of the year. For more details on major capital construction projects, please visit https://facilities.rice.edu/
FE&P is also actively managing various renovation projects across campus. These projects include the shell space buildout in the BRC that spans from level 3 to level 9. Duncan Hall is undergoing renovations to convert conference rooms into offices, and similar renovations are taking place in School Science and Technology, Anderson Biology, and Ryon Labs to accommodate more offices and laboratories. Furthermore, classroom updates to enable dual delivery and upgrades to RA apartments and Magister houses are taking place to prepare for the fall semester.
The following infrastructure and maintenance projects and improvements are also scheduled:
- Steam Interconnect Project: Replacing 700 linear feet of steam and steam condensate return piping to enhance resiliency and operational flexibility.
- Equipment Updates/Replacements: Updating or replacing air handling units, water heaters, autoclaves, and other equipment in Brockman Hall for Physics and Astronomy, the Student Health Clinic, Dell Butcher Hall, Valhalla, Keck Hall, and Dell Butcher Hall.
- Roof Repairs and Replacements: Conducting repairs and replacements to address roof issues across campus.
- Carpet and Paint Updates: Refreshing carpets and paint in various areas of the university.
- Sidewalk, Parking Lot, and Roadway Improvements: Ongoing projects to improve sidewalks, parking lots, and roadways on campus.
- Accessibility Improvements: Making continuous improvements to enhance accessibility throughout the university.
While some of these projects may not be immediately visible, their impact is significant. We appreciate your patience and ongoing support as we undertake these projects. We understand that some of the work may impact your daily operations at Rice, and we assure you that we are committed to keeping you informed. Some of the upcoming impacts are as follows. Please be on the lookout for additional information regarding these closures.
- The John and Anne Grove will be closed for construction from June 28 to July 28.
- Partial closure of Alumni Drive near Wiess College through the end of July.
- Heavy pedestrian traffic around Old Sid and the South Colleges lot as Old Sid Rich College is prepared for demolition.
- Entrance 23 through North College Lot Road will be closed for road repair work at the end of July.
If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com or visit our website for further information.
Facilities Engineering and Planning